BugFix release, released March 4'th 2003
- BugFix : Time Dialogreturned an error message when you changed the date.
- BugFix : GPS Crashed if you left the time-, or the 3D satellitestyle dialog.
- BugFix : GPS Crashed if you used Restore Settings ... with more stored satellites than currently active.
- BugFix : The number of background stars in the 3D-View were unchanged after a modification in the general dialog.
- BugFix : The Geostationary - flag was not properly stored in the ini - file.
- BugFix : GPS Crashed if you had the 3D-View running for some hours. (Memory Leak)
- BugFix : The Satellite Icon for the first satellite vanished if you started GPS for the first time.
Released February 10'th 2003
- Included a new dialog to retrieve the latest TLE data straight from the Web. "File->Open from the Web ...".
- Included a new dialog to download the latest global Weather map and use it as a texture. "Options->Texture->Real Weather Data ...".
Take a look at the Screenshot
- Included Splash screen at startup.
- Included a second texture for the Day / Night line in the 2D-View. Now you can see the lights at night.
- Major internal changes to the graphics engine. It is now possible to load JPEG, GIF, EMF, WMF, TIFF, PCX, and BMP as Textures.
- Added the routine to convert an image to 24-bit. The 3DView can now handle textures with any color depth.
- Modified the save / restore settings, to accomodate the new features.
- The user manual was updated.
- Bugfix : Follow satellite routine 2 for the 3D-View was not properly working.
- Bugfix : If the time exceeded the range of the CTime object it crashed the application. Now a message is displayed and the time is set to the current time.
- Bugfix : Fixed a problem with the 2DView when the WDBView was closed.
- Bugfix : The Export Dialog had a problem at each last of a month.
- Bugfix : The Export Dialog did not pass the TimeFactor correctly when one set the Start/End - time
- Improvemets : Improved the stretching of the Bitmaps. If the Color Depth is > 16bit I am using the HALFTONE mode for StretchBlt.
Note: HALFTONE does not work very well with 16bit. It changes the brightness of the image beyond usability.
- Improved the Zoom functionality in the WDBView. If you Zoom out and you hit a border it will allow you to zoom all the way until
you have the full World.
Released April 10'th 2001.
- A button was added to the lower left corner of the main frame. You can now switch between UTC and local time display.
- The day/night line has been implemented in the 2D-View.
- The moon is beeing shown now in the 2D-View. Also the moonposition is now animated accordingly in the 3D-View.
- The sun is now beeing drawn int the 2D-View.
- The user manual has been updated.
- The Twilight button was grayed out in the LLA/ECI tab of the Export Dialog.
- Bugfix : In the time dialog GMTime of 26 could apear.
- Bugfix : The Export Dialog caused an exception at startup.
- Bugfix : The local time was not correctly to UTC converted.
Okay that prety much wraps up my work on GPS.
Hey, wait a moment, don't run away. I am getting my hands dirty on Linux, Qt, and KDE. I started a new project, called LinSat,
which, you guessed right will be a Linux port of GPS. This will however be a step by step port (First comes the OpenGL 3D-View,
and then the2D-View) How much of the actual functionality I am going to port depends on my spare time.
If and when I'll then bring out another Windows version depends on the license agreements of QT from
Hey, moment, kein Grund wegzurennen. Ich bin gerade dabei mich etwas intensiver mit Linux, KDE und Qt zu
beschaeftigen. Ich habe vor ein neues Projekt LinSat zu starten und nach und nach das komplette Paket zu
Ob es irgendwann auch davon eine Windows Version geben wird, dass haengt von den Lizenzbestimmungen von
Released September, 14'th 1999
- Bugfix : Major error in the SDG4SDP.DLL eliminated, which decreased the accuracy of the satellite positions.
- A new Export dialog was added (See also .. 1 ..
.. 2 ..).You can now store satellite positions in an ASCII-file or as an EXCEL - file
format (comma delimited CSV file).
- Bugfix : If WDB-View is open and the Sphereapproximation X was increased, crashed the program.
- Bugfix : The Sphereaproximation Y wasn't stored in the settings.
- Bugfix : The double click in the OBS-View worked wrong.
- Bugfix : Go to in the OBS-View is not working.
- Bugfix : After Go to in WDB-View no refresh of the rectangle in the 2D-View.
- Bugfix : If you typed a Beamangle of 180Deg in the Satellitestyle 3D dialkog, the beam disapeared.
- Some minor changes on the menu.
- The link in the about dialog was changed to http://varol.cjb.net.
- The user manual was updated.
Released May, 19'th 1998
- Major internal changes of the program structure. Changed all comments to english.
- It is now possible, to display each view seperate. 3D-View doesn't need to be displayed.
- Added the possibility to give each satellite a different Icon in the WDB-, OBS-, and 2D-View.
- Updated the Save/Restore settings function. It is working now with all the views.
- Added the preview window in the Satellite style dialog of the 3D-View.
- Changed the file structure of the satellite style. It is now possible, to store more then just one satellite modell in it.
- Added the Observer view. All drawing routines are self written.
- Fixed a bug with the maximum viewangle of the satellite. Now even LEO satellite beams gets drawn more realistic.
- Changed the menu, so that now depending on which view is active, the View-XXX menu gets displayed.
- Added Follow satellite dialoge. Now the programm will follow a specified satellite in the WDB-View and 3D-View.
- Added Arrange to the Window menu. This will clean up your screen.
- Added posibility to define a default X-range for the views. If the startup size is to big for you.
- Added posibility, to define a default X-size for the WDB-View. The WDB-View Y-extension is depending on the zoomed ratio.
Released January, 4'th 1998
- Fixed the flickering while drawind the 2D-View.
- Added the WDB-View on behalf of my Prof. for better display of low earth satellites.
- Added Open to the File menu. Now you can change the satellite database from there, rather then use the general dialoge.
- Added the slider control to the right bottom, to control the time settings more intuitive.
- Added different cursor styles in the 2D-View and WDB-View.
- Cleaned up the display of the satellite name and position in the 2D-View and WDB-View.
- Lots of bugfixes.
This release was published the same week I came to Washington : June, 17'th 1997
- Added the posibility, to model your own 3D-Satellite in the file 'satelite.dat' and let it get drawn in the 3D-View.
- Added the different cursor styles in the 3D-View. The cursor changes now depending on which action takes place.
This release apeared around April 1997
Merged the English version and the German version into one program.
Stored the files no longer with ARJ compressed since some virus scanner went off with ARJ. Archive is now ZIP.
Release apeared shortly after Release 1.0 (I had some spare time)
- Fixed a bug in the DLL to calculate satellite positions. It crashed sometimes during calculation.
- HomePage is up and running.
- Included a user manual in Word 6.0 (German only).
- Included a short description of the GPS system in Word 6.0 (German only).
First release on December, 23'rd 1997.
- Program running 3D-View and 2D-View.
- Ability to display real-time or accelerated.
- The Sun movement is included.
- The Moon is put on the spot.
- The NORAD2Line format is used to calculate the satellite positions.
- The satellite routine is included as DLL.
- Ability, to store and load a complete setting of the program.
Prof. Dipl. Ing. W. Söll
Author: Varol Okan /
Last Updated: March, the 4th 2003